Just you and your partner meet with your Mediator, either in person or by Skype. You may have lawyers that you have consulted, but they do not attend the sessions.
In the sessions the Mediator:
- helps you determine the issues that you need to address
- informs you about how the law applies to these issues
- gathers the information that you need to make the most informed decisions
- helps you create and evaluate your various decision options
- assists you to choose what options are best for yourselves, and your children
- drafts a legally binding and enforceable agreement based upon those decisions
The sessions are private and confidential. The cost is by the hour and the expense is usually shared. The Mediator produces minutes from each meeting so that you can track your progress and perhaps choose to review it with your lawyer. Once you have reached agreement, the Mediator will draft the contract and encourage you and your partner to obtain independent legal advice before you sign it. The Mediator can recommend lawyers who will provide this service for you at a fixed price.
If you and your partner are right for mediation, this can be a very cost-effective and satisfying option. Please contact us if you wish to schedule a consultation appointment to discuss mediation. You and your partner will each have a separate session with the Mediator before commencing mediation so that she can screen for family violence issues and suitability for mediation. This session takes about an hour and there is a fixed cost for the service